Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Freak Unleashed: Why I'm not ashamed to tell people I like Korn anymore

As I've said before, I don't believe in having "guilty pleasures." If I like something, I own it with zero shame.  Well, not always ZERO shame. Occasionally, be it "Party Rock Anthem" or even one or two Nickelback songs (gasp!), I have a hard time justifying or even explaining why I like something.  Well, it is time I shed the shame from liking a band that revolutionized metal and made music unlike anything ever heard before. I admit it...

I REALLY LIKE KORN.

Korn's original lineup from left to right: "Fieldy", "Head", Johnathan Davis, "Munky", and David Silveria.


Other than my actual skin color, my affinity for the nu-metal elites is by far the whitest thing about me.  Select coworkers give me hell when I play "Freak on a Leash" at work. My girlfriend has given me an interesting half-glare/half-eyeroll whenever Korn has come up in conversation. If I played it for my parents, I'm pretty sure they'd both make a face similar to that after smelling a fart. So, am I crazy?

In 1993, Korn originated in Bakersfield, California (I was born that May. Coincidence? I think not). The group's self-titled debut album was released in 1994, and the evolution of metal was jumpstarted. Alternative influences such as hip-hop were now fair game, and Adidas track suits seemed a more fitting uniform than leather or denim jackets (Rolling Stone has a great piece looking back on that album here).

The bass strings had a snap and reverb that were equally bizarre and captivating. Two great guitarists (Brian "Head Welch, James "Munky" Shaffer) are wrapped up in a neverending duel. Jonathan Davis' vocal work was spastic, emotional, and not the typical metal voice at all. Not to mention...BAGPIPES.

After the first LP, Korn would go on to have a string of other successful albums, particularly 1998's Follow the Leader (featuring their biggest hit, "Freak on a Leash") and Issues the following year. While I only know a handful of songs here and there after that, the handful is stuff I really like, such as "Coming Undone", "Twisted Transistor", and MTV Unplugged session, and the most interesting covers like "Earache My Eye" from Cheech & Chong.

Personally, I fell in love with Korn in around 8th grade, simply because I read Brian "Head" Welch's book, Save Me From Myself. Today, the not-so-sublte religious overtone might turn me off, but the stories from this former meth-addict metal head allowed me to open up my mind to the idea of Korn. Once I just listened and cleared my head of any Hot Topic generated impressions, I was able to appreciate Korn for what they really are...a band that changed the face of metal for good.

And the best part...I ordered a Korn shirt off of ebay that should be here this week. No more guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment