Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Record Store Day: My Measly Two Picks


With the transition into warm weather nearly complete, Record Store Day could not have been more beautiful this year. I walked to Creep Records and arrived around 10 a.m. I envied those I saw who were probably dipping into their rent money in order to take home a giant stack of records. This year, my wallet and my heart told me I could only get two, so here they are.


Believe it or not, there were plenty of these left when I arrived at Creep. Maybe I just always assume there are more Allman Brothers fans out there. However, the record itself is one of my new favorites, and not just because it looks cool. Since it is a 10", it only features four songs, but those four are all proof that Gregg has still got it. The best track is when Allman teams up with Vince Gill and Zac Brown as they take on "Midnight Rider."


Maybe it's because I've had such bad luck getting the RSD specials I've wanted in the past, but my second must-buy was Untethered Moon since I knew it'd be available. The new record from veteran indie rockers Built to Spill was released on RSD and I haven't been listening to anything else. The record captures so many different energies, and it's definitely forced me to break out the air guitar while walking around Center City. Best tracks: "All Our Songs", "Living Zoo", "So".

Next year, I hope to budget in the months leading up to RSD so  I can just go crazy. For this year, I'm satisfied with my experience; the walk was enjoyable, the staff at Creep was very friendly, and I got two new records that I'm already in love with. That's what you call a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment