Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Working at Hard Rock Philly: Music, People, and a Sense of Place

When I first moved to Philly, I was majorly concerned with finding a job with an environment that didn't make me want to die every time I clocked in. In my hometown, I left behind working at a locally owned burrito shop where I got paid to hangout with my friends and sell a product I truly believed in (seriously, go to Neato Burrito. Chipotle ain't got nothin' on them). Fortunately, I only ended up applying at one place, and that place has been my home for the last year. If/when I leave this city, some of my strongest and most vivid memories will be associated with songs from Hard Rock Cafe.

image courtesy of Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia

Upon arrival at the Cafe, you walk under a King Kong-sized Gibson Les Paul. Of course, the Les Paul has been played by some of the greatest of all time: Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, George Harrison, and Peter Frampton. What a welcome. But before you even come inside, the sound of our music videos can be heard from outdoor speakers. This is where I come in.

One of my favorite parts of my job is helping select the videos that play throughout the day. There is an iPad that is referred to as the AVDJ, and it is a highly sought after device. For the most part, I try to hog it at the host stand where I can keep a close eye on what gets played (my co-workers don't hate me for this...yet). 

The morning playlist always starts out with music based on what happened that day in music history. This means there's usually at least one Beatles song that must be played, but for the most part it is a fun way to acknowledge musician's birthdays or one of James Brown's arrests. After that, it's all curated from the collective mind of that day's crew. 

The first person I'm usually willing to hand the DJ over to is my best buddy, the Turk to my J.D., the Gus to my Sean, my Chocolate Bear, and ultimate bromance companion, Marcus. When I see the iPad dwarfed in his huge hands to compliment his 6'7" frame, I know I'll be hearing "Don't Worry, Be Happy", Joe Cocker's Woodstock performance of "With A Little Help From My Friends", some Temptations, and our favorite song to groove together too, Jamiroqui's "Virtual Insanity." I will forever associate these songs and artists with meeting one of the coolest dudes I know, especially the time we realized he looks like a dark-skinned Tom Morello. 

Christopher and Buck are two other servers who are immediately handed the DJ when they approach the stand. These two have expanded my music knowledge immensely. Christopher is the guy to go to for music trivia and knowledge of the memorabilia in the Cafe. Because of him and a pink, autographed David Gilmour guitar, I found an interest in Pink Floyd. Buck was the first server to yell at me, but has become one of my favorite people to talk to about music. Buck made me reconsider the Clash, and encourages my love of all things emo, as Modest Mouse is our usual go-to. 

Last but not least, I met my girlfriend at Hard Rock, so allow me to be gross for a moment. The Doors are her soundtrack to life, so the videos for "Roadhouse Blues", "Love Me Two Times", and "Wild Child" are her typical requests. However, even seeing her bounce around to One Direction's "What Makes You Beautiful" made me fall in love with the building that brought us together (barf).

My goal with this post was to create a sense of place, but I don't know if you can fully understand a place without the people who make it have personality. Come into Hard Rock and meet my friends, and you too will feel an energy radiating on the corner of 12th & Market. The food is good, the music is great, and the people are amazing. That's what makes Hard Rock Philly the place for me.


1 comment:

  1. Play some Kansas, Eddie Money, Bruce Springsteen & John Cougar Mellencamp (yeah, the old stuff) and think of me. (If you leave out The Doors when I come to Hard Rock, that will help too. <3

    ReplyDelete